How We are Helping
As the COVID-19 pandemic and response continues to evolve we want to share with you our activities.
- Contacted 50 of the 130 families (750+ individuals) we have worked with over the past 3 ½ years to
- Inquire as to their wellbeing and any urgent needs
- Share information about the pandemic and proper safety precautions
- Share information regarding free meals provided by their local schools and other agencies
- Gauge interest in online community gatherings to keep children and adults connected
- Share free wifi sources through internet providers and local schools
- Make sure they all have access to laptops, tablets, phones or other communication devices
- Provided essential items to newly arrived families (arrived within the last few weeks) using curbside drop offs and following cdc guidelines
- Provided ongoing critical support to our most vulnerable families (one of whom is a single mother with a 4 year old daughter just released from over a month long stay in the hospital with a MRSA infection. This mother also has 3 other children, one of whom is a special needs child and was unable to visit her daughter in the hospital for about a week prior to her release because of the COVID-19 restrictions).
- Connected families in need with grocery delivery and food pantries and food banks.
International Rescue Committee Free Meal Distribution – ELIZABETH, NJ – There will be a free meal pick up starting Thursday, April 2. One person per household can go to either Stephen Sampson Senior Center, 800 Anna Street, Elizabeth, NJ OR O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Center, 618-622 Salem Avenue, Elizabeth, NJ Monday through Saturday at 12:00 PM to pick up cold or ready-to-heat meals for all family members.
Halal meals are not yet available. There is no ID required. Please do not come if you are feeling sick – another member of your household can come on your behalf.
Estará una recogida de comida gratis a partir del jueves 2 de abril. Una persona por casa puede ir al Stephen Sampson Senior Center, 800 Anna Street, Elizabeth, NJ O al O’Donnell Dempsey Senior Center, 618-622 Salem Avenue, Elizabeth, NJ de lunes a sabado a las 12:00 PM para recoger comidas calientes para todos los miembros de la familia. Las comidas halal no están disponibles todavia. No se requiere identificación para recoger. Por favor, no venga si se siente enfermo; otro miembro de su casa puede venir en su lugar.
NJ’s Covid-19 Information Page – Frequently Asked Questions and Answers regarding NJ resources, testing, and assistance.
Covid-19 Testing Information – Information regarding where and how to get a test for Covid-19.
Centers for Disease Control Information – General information on how to prevent the spread of Covid-19 from the CDC.
National Domestic Violence Hotline -1-800-799-7233 (SAFE), or text LOVEIS to 2252. Help is available in over 170 languages, so you can ask to speak someone in your own language.
New York Emotional Support Hotline – 1-844-863-9314
Learning English at Home – Free lessons from Voice of America English.
How you Can Help
All work is being done remotely at this time. If you are available to help or have any ideas to share please email us at email@example.com. Please share freely.
Please click here if you are interested in volunteering.
Click here to donate to support our families. We are an all volunteer run organization with no paid staff. All donations go directly to assisting the families we serve.
Click here to view a list of immigrant immigrant-serving organizations operating during COVID-19.